University of Arkansas at Little Rock- Postdoctoral Fellow - UALRS Grant
Postdoctoral Position for Research Fellow with Dr. Baillie at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
This position is a full-time position with 5 years of funding, with an initial one-year appointment and re-appointment contingent on satisfactory performance. The researcher will be in residence in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Description of Position Responsibilities
Postdoctoral Position in STEM Education Research at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, in association with an NSF Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (IUSE), Upholding Active Learning Reform in STEM (UALRS) project. Project goals are to support diversity, equity, and inclusion at UA Little Rock by 1) changing faculty mindset from “sort and select” to “success for all students,” 2) support for teaching that improves the success of historically underserved students, 3) supporting the growth of the Learning Assistant (LA) program, and 4) training faculty to utilize evidence-based instructional practices (EBIPs) including learning assistants. The UALRS grant is a 5 year project that is designed to shift STEM faculty mentality from “sort and select” towards “success for all students” through the creation of annual cohorts that participate in 1) a week-long summer institute on scientific teaching (EBIPs), 2) communities of practice for workshop participants, 3) utilization and expansion of our LA program, and 4) formation of faculty communities of transformation. In addition to mentoring provided by the PI (Dr. Baillie), this position will receive mentoring from faculty and staff that are involved with the UALRS project including Dr. Moore (Biology Education) and Dr. Pinneo (Education Researcher). Responsibilities include conducting qualitative education research and expanding professional development for STEM faculty related to teaching with opportunities for growth. Initial one-year appointment, with possibility of re-appointment of up to 5 total years, contingent on satisfactory performance, and project scope. Opportunities to teach or co-teach STEM-related or pedagogy courses will be available and encouraged.
Applications are welcomed immediately with review beginning August 15th and continuing until the position is filled. The targeted start date is October 1st but can be negotiated.
Required Education and/or Experience:
● Doctoral degree in STEM education research or in discipline-based education
research with an emphasis on qualitative research methods and techniques or
mixed methods research with a strong qualitative background.
● Doctoral degree in social science with an emphasis on qualitative research methods
and techniques or mixed-methods research with a strong qualitative background.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
● Teaching experience at the college or university level
● Working with learning assistants (either teaching utilizing learning assistants or
training learning assistants)
● Mixed-methods research
● Behavioral research
● R-Studio statistical analysis
● Experience with Dedoose/NVIVO or other qualitative analysis software
● Professional development for STEM faculty
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assist with data collection efforts
● Lead qualitative data analysis efforts
● Engage in scholarship activities (publishing and presenting at conferences)
● Mentor undergraduate and graduate students in education research
● Assist with teaching a learning assistant’s pedagogy course
● Assist with NSF grant program logistics
● Assist with development and implementation of faculty professional development
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
● Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
● Willingness to engage and build connections with STEM faculty across campus
Salary Information: $45,000 per year for up to 5 years
For inquiries contact Dr. Mark Baillie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, submit materials to https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/UASYS/job/Little-Rock/Postdoctoral-Fellow---UALRS-Grant_R0017154