The Department of Biological Sciences at North Dakota State University is hiring a full-time, 11 month laboratory coordinator to support our teaching laboratories in Introductory Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, and Non-Majors Biology. All laboratory sections are taught in the new AG HILL classroom building. The state-or-the-art building houses classrooms, labs and study areas, with a focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics-related (STEM) courses. Located next to the Memorial Union, the three-story, 109,000-square foot structure is designed to enhance student learning through interactive classrooms and updated labs.
Apply and learn more about the position here: http://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/9826
In this position, the lab coordinator will perform the following duties.
• Perform logistical support for labs as requested by lab teaching faculty
• Supervise associated lab staff
Oversee Procurement and Storage of Laboratory Equipment and Supplies:
• Monitor and perform basic maintenance on instructional equipment, arranging for repairs as needed
• Prepare samples/solutions as needed for teaching labs, applying appropriate techniques to ensure quality
• Maintain inventory of supplies and chemicals, including safety labeling
• Procure equipment and supplies
Oversee Maintenance of Laboratory Facilities:
• Manage laboratory prep spaces and classrooms
• Oversee handling, storage, and disposal of laboratory waste
• Maintain a safe and clean laboratory prep area and assist faculty and graduate teaching assistants with lab set-ups and clean-ups
• Maintain instructional cultures, animals, plants, and other specimens as needed
Assist with Instructional Materials:
• Assist with troubleshooting, developing, and updating instructional materials for teaching laboratories
• Manage budget for lab courses and work with teaching faculty to ensure equitable distribution of funds
Develop and Maintain Standard Operating Procedures:
• Work with lab instructors and teaching assistants to develop standard operating procedures for lab setups
• Develop standard operating procedures for laboratory equipment
• And Other Duties as Assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field plus three years of relevant experience • Experience working in a lab with standard biology lab equipment
• Exceptional oral, written, and organizational skills
• Effective interpersonal communication skills, demonstrated by past success in a collaborative professional environment.
• Ability to work with a diverse community in a respectful manner.
• Evidence of leadership skills
• Ability to prioritize projects and work independently
• Ability to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, climbing, or standing for extended periods of time
• Ability to handle and safely dispose of chemicals, solutions, and biohazardous materials
• MS degree in biology or a closely related field
• Formal teaching experience in an academic science laboratory at the high school or college level
• Knowledge of basic microbiological methods
• Supervisory experience
• Ability to use PC-based software, including spreadsheets, data acquisition systems, and inventory tracking applications
Instructions for application: Application materials include: a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching or mentoring philosophy and contact information for three professional references under Other Document 1. All application materials must be submitted electronically.
Visit this link: http://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/9826