Reporting to the Director of Faculty Teaching Initiatives in the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning, the Associate Director of Faculty Teaching Initiatives will work with the Director to strategically create and lead faculty development programs across the University. The Associate Director will support the implementation of high-impact, research-supported educational development activities and be responsible for a suite of programs, to be determined by the successful candidate’s skills and training. The Associate Director will also research and develop curriculum for new and developing programming; attend faculty consultations and represent the Director at CTL functions as needed. More generally, the AD will contribute to the advancement of the CTL mission, focusing on key tenets such as: developing student learning as it relates to teaching excellence, prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion, and building a culture of assessment at Yale.
Essential Duties include:
1. Collaborate with Director to manage teaching grant programs, learning communities, and other cohort-building experiences centered in the CTL, and collaborate with other CTL colleagues as appropriate.
2. Work with the Director on strategic planning and cultivating partnerships on campus to identify needs, opportunities, and develop targeted programming. Identify best practices and resources available beyond Yale.
3. Lead select elements of Faculty Teaching Initiatives programming, as they align with candidate’s skills and training
4. Develop and maintain working relationships with faculty and Center staff through the design and implementation of consultations, institutes, workshops, and other programming informed by educational research and campus needs.
5. Responsible for initiating and maintaining specific relationships with select departments, schools, and communities across the University
6. Conduct instructional design consultations, classroom observations, and assessment development services for faculty.
7. Customize learning materials to subject area domains of faculty teaching across divisions and schools campus-wide.
8. Responsible for faculty support for course design, instructional design, and assessment development and delivery customized to subject area domains of faculty teaching across divisions and schools campus-wide.
9. Maintain and develop a deep and current understanding of educational research, particularly as it relates to teaching and learning in university classroom and online environments, and as it relates to inclusive excellence and education equity.
10. Work with the Assistant Director for Educational Program Assessment and other collaborators within and external to the CTL to connect teaching development to classroom and program assessment
11. Represent the Director of Faculty Teaching Initiatives at CTL and University events as needed at briefings, campus visits, in relevant national networks and conferences, and other academic venues.
Required Education and Experience: PhD or equivalent level degree; faculty development leadership experience; 5 -7 years’ university teaching experience.
1. Ability to take initiative and operate independently; mature professionally; ability to gain a comprehensive understanding of the academic context and respect its possibilities and boundaries.
2. High degree of analytic ability; excellent writing skills, combined with the capacity for translating education research for a highly-educated and diverse institutional population.
3. High degree of comfort speaking in front of varied audience types; developed sense of self-awareness with areas of strengths and weaknesses, particularly as they relate to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
4. Strong interpersonal facilities; cooperative and willing to be part of a team.
5. Proactive thinker; track record of experimenting with program development to meet the needs of different groups; ability to connect to a vision and carry out a concrete plan of action.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Tenure track or other full-time university teaching experience; Experience in faculty development at a research institution.